12 Interesting Facts About Relationships, Marriage, and Divorce
Marrying your partner can be beautiful, rewarding, and life changing. Divorcing your spouse can be messy, stressful, and overwhelming. Unfortunately, researchers have found that there is a 50% chance your marriage will last, meaning a 50% chance it will end in a divorce.
With the right professional assistance, however, at least the divorce process doesn’t have to be that bad. It’ll still be stressful, sure, but receiving divorce help makes a big difference. That’s why it’s important to consult with experienced divorce lawyers from the moment you and your spouse decide to end your marriage.
Here are some interesting — and scary — facts about relationships, marriage, and divorce:
- A divorce happens every 36 seconds in the United States – roughly 876,000 divorces per year, 16,800 divorces per week, and 2,400 divorces per day!
- The divorce rate among couples with children is 40% lower than couples without children.
- If you have attended college, your risk of divorce decreases by 13%.
- The divorce rate for a first marriage is around 41%, 60% for a second marriage, and 73% for a third marriage.
- The median age for first divorces is 29 years old for women and 30.5 for men.
- Approximately 75% of children with divorced parents currently live with their mother.
- The average length of a first marriage that ends in divorce is 8 years.
- On average, a person spends about two years thinking about divorce before taking action.
- One in seven married people have contemplated divorce because of their partner’s social media activity and 14% of adults say they look through their partner’s social media accounts for evidence of infidelity.
- Most people marry again after three years after their divorce.
- Approximately 6% of American couples marry, divorce, and then remarry each other.
- Online affairs are the cause of one in three divorces.
No one wants to go through a divorce but it’s a part of life. As long as you’re aware of your options and are serious about putting this stressful situation behind you as quickly and efficiently as possible, you’re going to be fine. If you’re in need of divorce mediation and want to consult with a trusted and experienced divorce lawyer, give C.E.L. and Associates, Inc. a call right away.