Anyone who is going through a divorce wants the process to go as smoothly as possible. Unfortunately, there are often complicated factors, feelings, and lives involved in a divorce. For these reasons and more, divorce mediation services don’t always work. By knowing the signs that it’s time to find an experienced divorce attorney, you will be better able to protect yourself as the divorce progresses.
- Your spouse has hired a divorce lawyer. Oftentimes, when one spouse has gone ahead and hired a divorce attorney, they may try to convince you that their attorney has everything under control and you don’t need to spend the money on one of your own. However, the job of your spouse’s attorney is to act in the best interests of your spouse. They have no obligation to help you. You will need your own lawyer in order to protect yourself and your assets.
- You foresee a dispute in child custody. The divorce rate among couples with children is 40% lower than that of couples with children, likely because a divorce that involves children is almost always more complicated than one that does not. Couples often end up in a bitter fight over child custody that compromises all other aspects of the divorce. In order to keep the interests of the children at the forefront of the dispute, you will need an attorney who has experience with child custody cases.
- You have many valuable assets. These assets could include at least a few thousand dollars in bank accounts, the family home, investments, or a business. The more assets you have together, the more important it is to hire a lawyer to represent you. An experienced lawyer will be best equipped to negotiate a fair division of the assets.
- Your relationship involved violence. Whether the violence was on one or both sides of a marriage, involving divorce lawyers will be the best solution to ending it. Violence on both sides means that the process will inevitably be messy and volatile. Violence on one side puts the weaker spouse in a position to fearfully agree to the unfair demands of an abusive spouse. A trusted attorney can help protect the physical and psychological well-being of the victimized spouse through a restraining order or order of protection.
- You are in shock. If you were surprised to receive divorce papers from your spouse, you should find an attorney as quickly as possible. Your spouse has already initiated the divorce process without your input and you need to do everything you can to catch up. Seeking legal advice now can help guide your next steps.
The reality of divorce for many couples is that it is messy. To navigate this mess, you need someone who has your legal interests in mind. To find a divorce attorney who can help you, contact C.E.L. & Associates today.